Blepharoplasty (eye lid surgery) is performed since 1970 and since then a large number of men and women benefit from the results of this intervention. The blepharoplasty surgical intervention aims to remove excess of skin and fat on the upper and lower eyelid. This skin and fat excess determines a decrease of the field of vision, along with wrinkles and bags under the eyes creating a tired look. Eyelid surgery can be performed on the upper and lower eyelid separately and together in the same intervention. In the same manner, eyelid surgery can be associated to face lifting procedure.
WHO CAN BENEFIT OF BLEPHAROPLASTY?
Usually, the blepharoplasty surgical intervention is performed on patients over 35 years but if the case, it can be performed even earlier. The intervention is not recommended in hyperthyroid, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and ophthalmologic affections as retinal detachment or glaucoma.
BLEPHAROPLASTY SURGICAL INTERVENTION RISKS
There are risks involved in any surgery. When an experienced surgeon performs the surgical intervention, the complications are rare and usually minor. The recovery is different from one patient to another as it depends to each healing capacity, thus the outcome is never completely predictable. Just like minor complications, double sight or foggy sight might appear after a couple of days after surgery. If the tissue removed was more than the necessary amount ectropion might occur, a lower eyelid retraction might impede closing the eyelid. Before the surgical intervention an ophthalmologist should be consulted in order to verify the sight and tear secretion.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight before the blepharoplasty surgical intervention;
- It is forbidden to take any medicines containing aspirin, with 2 weeks before the eyelid surgery;
- Usually, for women, the surgical intervention must be performed outside menses;
- The surgeon and anesthesiologist must be notified if any medical problems exist (blood pressure, vascular problems, heart attack, diabetes, lung problems, bleeding problems, epilepsy, neurological problems, allergies to different drugs);
- The doctor must be notified if you have a set of plates or eye lenses;
- If you smoke, plan to quit 1-2 weeks before the eyelid operation and do not start to smoke again for at least 2 weeks after the surgery;
- Avoid sunbathing in excess before blepharoplasty surgery, particularly in the facial area;
- Do not follow a strict diet before eyelid surgery because it might delay the healing process;
- If you catch a cold or have any infection the blepharoplasty surgery must be rescheduled.
EYELID SURGICAL INTERVENTION
Blepharoplasty is generally performed under local anesthetic combined with light intravenous anesthetic. You will be awake but insensitive to pain. The intervention takes from 1 to 3 hours. Usually the lower eyelid surgery is performed, then the upper one. The incisions are made in the natural folds of the upper eyelid and immediately and just below the lashes on the lower. The tegument is separated from the eye muscle and the excess fat tissue on the upper and lower eyelids is removed. Finally, the excess tissue is being removed and stitching can be performed. If on the lower eyelid there can be found only fat excess without any tegumentary excess, trans-conjunctiva blepharoplasty with an incision in the inner eyelid can be performed.
EYELID SURGERY POSTOPERATIVE HOSPITALIZATION
Following the eyelid surgery a one-day hospitalization is required in order to remain under medical supervision. During this period antibiotics will be preventively given and ice will be applied locally.
The surgical wires are removed after 3-4 days and even the family doctor can perform it. The edema and the ecchymosed tissue persist generally until the end of the first week. Most patients can return to work in about 10 days. For about 2 weeks difficult activities should be avoided, along with high blood pressure that can favor bleeding. Due to the fact that in the first months a slight sensibility to sun and wind might persist, and wearing protection glasses is recommended. The scars might persist with a slight shade of pink up to 6 to 9 months, finally becoming a white thin line.
The positive results of blepharoplasty are preserved years to come, improving considerably the aesthetic aspect of the patient.
Blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery in plastic surgery clinic in Romania, performed by the best plastic surgeon Romania:
This blog post is an educational resource only and does not replace a medical consultation with a doctor .
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments. Your feedback welcome!