The Botox substance:
Botox is the popularized name given to a drug made from botulinum toxin – a chemical extracted from Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The substance’s cosmetic benefits were discovered in the ‘80s and since then, it has become an extremely popular, borderline miraculous, drug for maintaining a youthful look beyond the normal years. The drug Botox is applied to the face by means of injection; a miniscule dose is used to sever the connection between neurons and muscles which leaves the latter in a state of paralysis – essentially causing the wrinkles and creases on the face to disappear.
Big names who have used the drug:
Botox injections have been employed by some of the most well-known female celebrities and showed great effect: Jennifer Aniston, Demi Moore and Angelina Jolie are but a few of the leading Hollywood women who have used this drug to maintain their youthful visages.
Botox isn’t exclusive for female celebs only, many male celebrities have also used it – there is a reason why Simon Cowell, Ryan Seacrest, David Hasselhoff and Sylvester Stallone still look youthful.
Benefits of Botox:
- The primary benefit of Botox injections is their ability to grant your face an unblemished look. The theory is that the cumulative effect of the stress caused by your muscles on your skin leads to the wrinkles. By using Botox, the muscles are relaxed and the wrinkles are gone.
- If you are someone who sweats too much, this drug can get rid of the condition for a lot more than a few days. The condition of excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis.
- This drug is also known to be effective against chronic headaches especially tension headaches.
- Botox was proven lately by the FDA (USA Food and Drug Administration) as a treatment for migraines; studies also showed that Botox can prevent migraine attacks by its effect on the muscles and the nerves supplying them.
Why use this drug at all?
Botox is recommended for those individuals who are unhappy with the way their face is aging and want to have the confidence of their youth restored. The drug doesn’t just improve the physical appearance of the person – it actually makes them feel better about themselves. Age discrimination is a major problem for the majority of people these days: jobs and benefits seem available only for the good looking and the influential. With the help of Botox injections, you can improve your chances of succeeding in your worldly endeavors even if you are not that young. After all, age is just a number.
Are there any concerns?
There are frequent rumors that people have permanently frozen their facial expressions by using it, but the truth is that it isn’t as much the fault of the drug as it is of the people who deliberately choose to overindulge in it. For a person who follows their doctor’s advice and gets Botox injections in the recommended dose, there is no real need to worry about causing damage to the face.
If you are not comfortable with it, here are a couple of botox alternatives you can resort to:
- Completely or partially severing the brow muscles which cause wrinkles and frown lines to appear is an option for those individuals who want more permanency or for whom the drug is ineffective. This botox alternative has some serious disadvantages such as the risk of developing a perpetually shocked expression or losing feel in the affected region.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acid containing creams and moisturizers are a cheaper botox alternative that work by removing dead skin from the face and thickening the existing facial skin which makes it firm and more youthful looking.
This blog post is an educational resource only and does not replace a medical consultation with a doctor .
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments. Your feedback welcome!