Otoplasty (Ear surgery), is performed in order to approach ears to the head or to make them smaller. Usually, decollated ears are asymmetric, one being more decollated than the other. Moreover, ears can be of different sizes. The aim is to restore this symmetry but a promise that they will be perfect cannot be made.
WHO CAN BENEFIT OF OTOPLASTY?
The otoplasty operation is performed after the age of 4 – 5 when the ear nearly reaches the adult dimensions. It is indicated for the intervention to be performed before the patient joins different collectivities (kinder garden, school) in order to avoid the apparition of psychical trauma due to malicious comments.
OTOPLASTY SURGERY RISKS
There are risks involved in any surgery. When an experienced surgeon performs the surgical intervention, the complications are rare and usually minor. The recovery is different from one patient to another as it depends to each healing capacity, thus the outcome is never completely predictable. In a slight percent small blood clogs may appear situated behind the ear, on the incision or small infections situated on the tegument or the cartilage that can easily be treated with antibiotics.
PREOPERATIVE INDICATIONS FOR OTOPLASTY
- Do not eat or drink after midnight before the otoplasty surgical intervention;
- It is forbidden to take any medicines containing aspirin, with 2 weeks before the ear surgery;
- Usually, for women, the surgical intervention must be performed outside menses;
- The surgeon and the anesthesiologist must be notified if any medical problems exist (blood pressure, vascular problems, heart attack, diabetes, lung problems, bleeding problems, epilepsy, neurological problems, allergies to different drugs);
- The doctor must be notified if you have a set of plates or eye lenses;
- If you smoke, plan to quit 1-2 weeks before the otoplasty s operation and do not start to smoke again for at least 2 weeks after the surgery;
- Avoid sunbathing in excess before ear surgery, particularly in the facial area;
- Do not follow a strict diet before otoplasty s surgery because it might delay the healing process;
- If you catch a cold or have any infection the ear surgery must be rescheduled.
THE OTOPLASTY SURGICAL INTERVENTION
In very small children general anesthetic is preferred and for older children and adults the local anesthetic is combined with light intravenous anesthetic. The surgical intervention takes about 1 hour. The incision is made behind the ear in order to avoid the cartilage. Then, with surgical wires the cartilage is folded and brought closer to the head. After controlling hemostasis stitches are applied.
The surgical intervention is performed without hospitalization or with 24 hours hospitalization. A compressive bandage must be worn 1 week, after which a hair ribbon must be worn for another month The stitches are removed after 7-8 days even by the family doctor.
Children may return in collectivity after 1 week but they must be surveyed in the first month and adults may return to work after 2-3 days.
The results of this intervention are positive but you must not be certain to obtain perfectly symmetrical ears after surgery, being unnatural for the ears.
Otoplasty , ear surgery in plastic surgery clinic Romania, performed by best plastic surgeon in Romania:
This blog post is an educational resource only and does not replace a medical consultation with a doctor .
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments. Your feedback welcome!