Rhinoplasty (Nose surgery), is a cosmetic surgery for the nasal pyramid, being one of the most requested interventions. Rhinoplasty is a surgical technique that restructures and reshapes the natural nose shape by correcting traumatism misshapes or hereditary disproportions.
WHO CAN BENEFIT OF RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty can be performed only for aesthetic purposes, reconstructive ones and in order to solve some breathing problems. Rhinoplasty can improve looks and your self-confidence. Usually, this surgical intervention is performed on individuals that passed over puberty and thus all modification will be perfectly and realistically harmonized with the mature individual physiognomy.
RHINOPLASTY SURGICAL INTERVENTION RISKS
There are risks involved in any surgery. When an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon performs the surgical intervention, the complications are rare and usually minor. Recovery is different from one patient to another as it depends to each healing capacity, thus the outcome is never completely predictable. After rhinoplasty surgery on the nasal pyramids’ tegument small red spots might appear due to the breaking of small blood veins. As for the scars they remain unnoticeable if closed method is applied and when the open method is applied they are slightly visible.
RHINOPLASTY PREOPERATIVE INDICATIONS
- Do not eat or drink after midnight before the rhinoplasty surgical intervention;
- It is forbidden to take any medicines containing aspirin, with 2 weeks before the nose surgery;
- Usually, for women, the surgical intervention must be performed outside menses;
- The surgeon and the anesthesiologist must be notified if any medical problems exist (blood pressure, vascular problems, heart attack, diabetes, lung problems, bleeding problems, epilepsy, neurological problems, allergies to different drugs);
- The doctor must be notified if you have a set of plates or eye lenses;
- If you smoke, plan to quit 1-2 weeks before the operation and do not start to smoke again for at least 2 weeks after the nose surgery;
- Avoid sunbathing in excess before surgery, particularly in the abdominal area;
- Do not follow a strict diet before rhinoplasty surgery because it might delay the healing process;
- If you catch a cold or have any infection the rhinoplasty surgery must be rescheduled.
THE RHINOPLASTY SURGICAL INTERVENTION
Rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia or under local anesthetic combined with light intravenous anesthetic. The nose surgery takes about 1 hour and the more complicated procedures may take longer. During surgery, the nose’s tissue is being separated from the bone and cartilage that are then shaped in the desired form. The most common method is the closed surgical method, with incisions inside the nose, the open surgical procedure being applied only in more complex cases. After rhinoplasty surgery, on the nasal pyramid a splint is attached which will be removed after 7 days. Stitches will cover nostrils for about 24 hours.
RHINOPLASTY POSTOPERATIVE HOSPITALIZATION
After rhinoplasty intervention a one-day hospitalization is necessary in order to be kept under medical care. During this period antibiotics are preventively given. Stitches are removed after 24 hours.
RECOVERY FROM RHINOPLASTY
In the first days after rhinoplasty surgery the patient might feel his/her face a little bit swelled with edema and ecchymosis especially on the lower eyelids. Thus, cold bandages must be applied to evidently reduce these symptoms. Usually, ecchymosis and edema persist in the first week. Moreover you must not be frightened if in the first couple of days after surgery you will have a light bleeding until the end of the first week, the splint and surgical wires are removed. For two weeks difficult activities must be avoided because they can determine a high blood pressure that may determine bleedings. For the patients that have glasses leaning on the nasal pyramid is highly forbidden to wear them for about 6-7 weeks. After the removal of the splint a slight edema will persist for about 3 months but in time it will fade.
Rhinoplasty contributes to a high aesthetic face balance, the outcome consisting in a high self-confidence.
Rhinoplasty , nose job clinical cases in plastic surgery clinics in Romania, performed by the best plastic surgeons in Romania:
This blog post is an educational resource only and does not replace a medical consultation with a doctor .
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments. Your feedback welcome!